Lots of good stuff in the local mainstream media this morning. Here's a little sample of it...
A- Herald: Uh oh.
Only one cat hair was found on multiple items seized from Tyler Weinman, the teen accused of mutilating more than 19 cats in South Miami-Dade last year, according to DNA test results made public Wednesday.B- Herald: Video, stray dog round up in Little Havana.
Weinman, who is awaiting trial, has a dog and a cat, said his lawyer, David Macey.
The results follow a DNA analysis of the deceased cats by the Miami-Dade police crime lab in April. Those results, released in February, found no human DNA on the 11 corpses.
``The results are confirming what we've been saying all along -- that they have the wrong person,'' Macey said.
C- Herald: Now comes the real payday.
[Former U.S. Attorney Jeff] Sloman, known for his wry wit, will be honored Thursday evening at a farewell reception at the Inter-Continental Hotel in Miami after a 20-year career in the U.S. attorney's office for the Southern District of Florida. He's going into private practice with former University of Miami law school classmate Jim Ferraro, who specializes in asbestos, tobacco and other tort litigation.D- Herald: Video, horse meat in a van.
E- Sun-Sentinel: Video, full body imaging at FLL.
F- Sun-Sentinel: A doggone shame.
Port St. Lucie Tony Freeman's weekend "four wheeling" outing with his son and his son's two friends turned into what Freeman said Tuesday was an unintended mistake.G- Palm Beach Post: Palm Beachers are as stuffy about their Publix as they are everything else.
Freeman's dog, a Hungarian Vizsla named Dollar, had been tied to the bumper of Freeman's high-riding yellow Jeep in his garage and was dragged about 1.2 miles before Freeman was flagged down.
"I understand a mistake happened," Freeman, 39, said Tuesday. "I understand the dog was hurt but it wasn't purposely done."
Dollar was bleeding heavily when police arrived following the Sunday incident, a report states. The pooch that accompanied Freeman on vacation and while working was taken to a veterinarian. Freeman said a vet indicated it would take a couple of surgeries and Dollar's skin might not fully return.
"We decided at that time that he was in some serious pain and we needed to put him down," said Freeman, who has three children.
Freeman was arrested Monday at his home in the 3300 block of Southwest Perrine Street on a misdemeanor animal cruelty charge. He spoke about what happened Tuesday to news crews.
"Nobody heard anything. No dog or anything," Freeman said. "We got a couple blocks down the road and somebody flagged me down and said, 'Hey, listen, there's a dog underneath your car.'"
The civic association's "Tell Publix What You Want" symposium revealed that Palm Beachers want to shop in a Publix that doesn't make them feel as if they're shopping in a Publix.H- CBS4: If you're at Bayside, you might want to think twice about going to Chili's for a bit.
They don't want white "industrial looking" exterior paint on the store, and they'd like a rear or side-entrance for valet parking.
They want more shade and less asphalt in the parking lot, and they want to see Mediterranean Revival design flourishes. They also worry that a bigger store will just mean more people will go there, and be less of a "town-serving store" than the 40-year-old Publix that's there now.
In short, they'd like a supermarket that feels more like a private club.
Health officials are screening more than 70 employees of the Chili's restaurant at Bayside after a cook there was diagnosed with typhoid fever. Officials say the man became "disoriented" at work the last week in April after having felt ill for several days.I- CBS4: Video, the newest trend with teen drinking? Consuming vodka through your eyes.
He visited an emergency room in Miami, then returned to Haiti. It was only after he left the country that lab tests confirmed he had typhoid fever.
The disease is found in fecal matter, and is most often transmitted through food as a result of inadequate hand washing. It is also found in water supplies that are contaminated with sewage, making it far more prevalent in third-world countries.